Friday, June 21, 2024

An Inky Gift Bag

 Hi!  I am sharing another project for the Funkie Junkie Boutique.  We were challenged to use alcohol inks this time.  I tried something new for me with the alcohol links and tried coloring an image! 

I used the beautiful Idea-Ology Tissue paper prints and used a mix of Alcohol Blending Solution with the Purple Twilight alcohol ink to color the flower petals.  I layered the color into the petals by mixing on my craft mat the blending solution with the purple ink. 

For the leaves I repeated the process using a green alcohol ink along with a hint of brown.  After the ink was dry, a splattering of white acrylic paint added a highlight over the background.  

The edges were torn and sponged with distress ink and a stamping of a script was added across the background.

The image was larger than what would fit onto a card face so I embraced the image and found a white gift bag to use as the backdrop.  I layered another tissue collage print in the back with a layer of white cardstock behind the main image.  All the different layers and bag received a soft distressed edge with brown distress ink.

I pulled out some additional embellishments to add a focal point with the sweet birthday sentiment.
I enjoyed using the alcohol inks to color the images and have ideas floating on how to use them on different surfaces with stamped images. 

Thanks for stopping by! 



Friday, June 7, 2024

It's Ideal!

 Hi!  I am back to share some new Idea-ology from Tim Holtz!  The Funkie Junkie Boutique team is sharing their inspiration using the new Idea-Ology and here is where I went with the new Paper Strips!

The paper strips vary in size and pattern.  They work well with creating a gorgeous background or even a basket weave.  I paired together varying widths and patterns to create a solid background for my card.  Then I sponged a watered down white acrylic paint across the surface to soften the pattern. After that dried a touch of brown dye ink was sponged around the edges. 
I saw some fabulous fabric flowers at a vintage flea market a few months ago and they were in the back of my mind and I wanted to try to create something similar.
I have to say the ones at the flea market were constructed much better than mine because I am sure that the designer sewed her petals.  I lack in sewing so I took a quick route and just stapled mine together using the mini attacher.

To create these beautiful flowers you will need to cut many squares out of the fabric that you want in varying sizes.  My first flower had two layers of 1 1/4" by 1 1/4" squares and then a top layer of 1" by 1" squares. 

I sprayed all the fabric with dye ink and let them dry.  After that I folded them into funnels and stapled them.  I repeated for all the petals.  I then used  a glue gun to glue them all together ontop of a base piece of cardstock.  

After they were assembled I added a layer of vintage buttons in the center and sponged white acrylic paint across the surface to add a touch of shabby chic.  This flower was too big for my card front so I recreated a second version with smaller squares (1" x 1",  3/4" x 3/4") to use on the card.  I also changed up the colors on to coordinate with the paper strips.