Wednesday, July 20, 2016

All Lined Up

It's Funkie Time!  The Funkie half of the Frilly and Funkie DT is sharing our creations for the current "All Lined Up Challenge".   The challenge is hosted by the fabulous Jenny and she gave us the following guidance:  For this one we need you need to think in straight lines! Be it rows or columns, stripes or even grids make sure those vertical and/or horizontal lines or rows of things are a clearly visible part of your vintage or shabby chic projects (the edges don't count!)

At the end of the challenge the team will choose their top four picks. Our first place winner will be invited to join us in a Guest DT spot here at Frilly and Funkie. Three additional talented participants will receive badges to display on their blogs. Everyone who enters and adheres to the challenge guidelines will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

I played around quite a bit with this challenge and came up with two pieces of art and several different backgrounds.

This was my second card but I love it because I tried something new and loved how it turned out.


I used a ruler with a baby wipe folded up and attached to the ruler edge to use as a stamp.

After I had attached the baby wipe I ran the edge with the wipe over my distress ink pad to ink it up. I then used that edge to stamp the paper.  When stamping the paper you need to hold the inky part down and either stamp it directly or run it back and forth to get a stronger imprint.  You can also wiggle it around to give it a softer edge on the line.
I did one batch of yellow lines and then inked up with the darker color of brown lines.  You can see these lines are much softer and this was with very little ink on the ruler.  To get stronger lines you add more ink to the baby wipe.


I had fun with my lines and decided to create a plaid version of the lines.  I also increased the amount of ink on the ruler by inking up multiple times and angling the ruler to get ink on both sides of the edge.

On my card I used the faintest lines and went back over with a stencil where I masked off one row of circles.
I added a soft doily stamped in the background and then used the chipboard pocketwatch frame to frame out an image.  I added the beautiful metal butterfly to the watch with a bunch of flowers and a touch of lace.

For my second project I went with the row of circles again.


I inked up the circles with the yellow ink and dabbed on a touch of the brown and then stamped them across the card. I repeated until I had covered the bottom half of the card.  I then thought it would be fun to link them together so I  used a colored pencil to trace a line across the rows.

I wanted a color combination of yellow, brown and a pop of red.  I looked around and saw the lovely poppies from Wendy Vecchi.

I stamped a bouquet of them and then dragged the inkpad right over the top of them to get the richest color on the flowers. I blended it with a sponge after I had inked them up.

I then died some thread with the yellow ink and created baby pom poms to put in the center of the flowers.  I also stamped the leaves and covered them in brown ink and separated them to create a few for the background with the lovely metallic ribbon.

Don't forget to check out the  Frilly and Funkie blog to see the rest of the Design Team's awesome creations.

Suzz


6 comments:

  1. Loving these!!! So glad you shared them both together with that really clever way of using baby wipes and ruler with your inks. Love how your creative mind works xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzz!
    Your cards are fabulous! I love the monochromatic with the dramatic pop of red!! Your poppies are so luscious and rich looking. The idea for thread centers is inspired! I spend so much money on stamens for my flowers, but I think your idea with the thread gives a softer, prettier touch. And the stamping with a ruler and baby wipes!!! You have the best ideas. Well, I can't pick a favorite. I love BOTH cards!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are gorgeous Suzz!! I love your technique for creating the background lines, how very clever. The lines are soft and subtle and blend so well! So beautiful. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzz, you are one creative gal! Who would think that a simple baby wipe combined with a ruler could have such an interesting outcome? I know for sure that I will try this as soon as I get time in my craft space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these so much! I think you win the challenge! Stamping with the wrapped ruler is so ingenious and so out of the box! I just love thst! The color palette is fabulous, and the flowers are magnificent! A total wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One word...CLEVER! I love your creative techniques and awesome cards! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!