Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Play Date Cafe Challenge #25 - Splash of Color

The Play Date Cafe challenge this week is a splash of color challenge. Love these challenges because it goes back to the neutrals and one color. This challenge's splash of color is orange.


Sarah provided this colour splash challenge.

I think I might have spilled a little too much orange in my splash... :)

I started with these lovely poppies from Hero Arts. They have a lovely background stamp with poppies.


  1. Stamp poppies background stamp on white cardstock using black pigment ink.
  2. Heat emboss using clear embossing powder.
  3. Sponge orange dye ink on poppies. Cut out poppies leaving black outline.
  4. Cut a circle from white cardstock. Stamp Hero Arts Kanji poem using black pigment ink on circle.
  5. Edge circle with orange dye ink.
  6. Stamp background with houndstooth stamp using black pigment ink.
  7. Assemble all pieces.

Products:

  • Hero Arts - Houndstooth K5175
  • Hero Arts - CL371 Essential Messages
  • Hero Arts - CG140 Poppy Background
  • Hero Arts - K5191 Kanji Poem
  • Versafine Black Onyx
  • Ranger Distress Inks - Spiced Marmalade
  • Clear Embossing Powder
  • White silk ribbon
  • Orage buttons
  • Tag - McGill Tag Punch
  • Nestabilities - Circle


Go take a look at all the other design team creations...
Sarah Anderson
Stephanie Kraft
Ruby 2 Shoes
Savannah O'Gwynn
Mona Pendleton
Julie Ranae
Lisa Somerville




and our guest designer ...



Hope you get a chance to play along...


Suzz

19 comments:

  1. I like this Suzz.. that touch of orange is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful mix of stamps and i love the oranges in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Suzz! Being a colour girl I LOVE the amount of orange you've used, fab card! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Suzz, I think I will be challenged this week, I don't use orange alot in my cards. Will have to think hard for this one!!lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Suzanne! The ribbon treatment & buttons are a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful take on this weeks challenge. The poppies are a great splash of color. Congrats on your publications in the recent Crafts N Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spilling too much orange was a good idea--this card is beautiful! I love love love everything about it! Great stamps and the sentiment is perfect! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the right amount of orange on this card, Sue! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, Suzz! The poppies are gorgeous.. they remind me of the poppy fields when I was growing up in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this hero arts stamp, and reckon this card still qualifies as having a splash of orange. It's so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful interpretation of the color splash challenge, Suzz!

    Love those poppies and I LOVE houndstooth patterns : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great design! LOVE the orange!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG... this is so gorgeous, Sue!! Love the black and a splash of orange, so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your card! Poppy's are my absolute favorite flower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing your methods - love the effect you got with the black embossing and sponging of the orange on top. Beautiful and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you framed your image with the ribbons. Fun color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card, very well balanced and such a nice sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great take on the challenge Sue. Orange is a colour I rarely use but this is so effective. I particularly like the houndstooth background.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. great card. I especially like the mixing of the houdstooth and Japonese backgrounds, 2 classics from different cultures
    thanks for visiting me.
    Happy stamping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!