Wednesday, June 14, 2017

You're My Inspiration

It is time for another Funkie DT share for the current Frilly and Funkie Challenge "You're my Inspiration". 
 The wonderful Nancy is hosting and here is how she describes the challenge:

"Simply find any type of image or photo that inspires you to create a vintage or shabby chic project. Please post your inspiration image on your blog along with your project, and tell us what it is you love about it. The inspiration image does not need to be included as part of your project, just on your blog post."

I have a confession to make... I love reading magazines... I don't mind browsing on line but there is so much I love about snuggling in bed flipping the pages of the magazines and getting ideas.  I keep a sketch/art journal by the bed and as I see an idea that inspires me I sketch, write or sometimes tear a page out and stick it in the book for later inspiration.  

My art today was inspired by one of those sessions. I was looking in through the Stampington's Somerset Summer Studio Gallery and I saw this canvas from Donna Salazar.

I loved that she had so much negative space and yet it was so beautiful with the edge of flowers.  I put that aside along with a few other projects that I want to try from this issue. 


I spent some time layering in paint in the background followed up with stenciled texture using the crackle embossing paste. While that was wet I misted with brown and pink sprays. I let that drip and dry before adding my verse. 

Then the butterflies and flowers were misted with antique linen and dipped in distress oxide worn lipstick for hints of pink.

The butterflies were stamped in brown ink with lettering and labels.  I added a smattering of old buttons and sponged the edges of everything with brown dye ink.

I hope this has you thinking of your inspiration so you can come join  us in the fun!  At the end of the challenge the team will choose their top four picks. Our first place winner will be invited to join us in a Guest DT spot here at Frilly and Funkie. Three additional talented participants will receive badges to display on their blogs. Everyone who enters and adheres to the challenge guidelines will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

Thanks for stopping by!

Suzz



11 comments:

  1. Oh, Suzz! I am totally mesmerized by this amazing work of art! It is so soft and subtle but very inviting and magical all at the same time. I'm in awe of the masterful usage of negative space here. That is so hard to do and you have carried it out beautifully. Those button butterflies add wonderful movement and drama to the canvas along with a delightful touch of whimsy. This has to be my new favorite from you. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzz, I have to echo Kathy in that this is a new favorite of mine, too! I love the subtle color and crackle on the background and the AMAZING depth you have created with your paints and sprays. The butterflies and flowers balance your negative space with grace and beauty! Really a LOVELY piece I would love to have hanging in my home! I can see why you were inspired by Donna's work!

    Thank you so much for the warm welcome to the team and for your lovely words on my blog! Such high praise from a truly talented artist! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so inspiring, Sue! I adore the butterfly patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful project with a gorgeous colour palette - so soft and shimmery. Love all the butterflies with their button bodies and the little flowers tucked among them.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE your version Suzz - that crackle is done perfectly and the delicacy of that gathering of butterflies is so wonderful! Yet again you've created magic xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your canvas is so stunning. Almost an etherial feel with that crackle paste lending the look of fairy dust. I love it!!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the student excelled the master in this one. Big big wow! What a beauty, worthy of hanging in your home or given as a very special gift. I could CASE this project to a T, down to the gorgeously stamped butterflies. A tremendous design! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mother, a great woman of faith, always loved butterflies and would truly love your creation. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just stunning, came across your blog from a pinterest pin ( YAY they actually showed me something cool ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how beautiful....such texture and interest.
    tfs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!