I saw something on pinterest today which peaked my interest and this project was inspired by an idea of how to re-create the effect.
I used tissue tape and tore it up to give me rough edges. I framed the edges of the cardstock with tissue tape. I put two full length strip of tissue tape on the sides to keep a clean edge. Along the top and bottom I added layers of torn tissue tape to create the faux tape edges.
I left a few gaps in between the pieces along the top and bottom to allow a bit of color to seep through. I then came back with a thinner tissue tape and taped off a few stripes in the middle. I would have liked even a thinner strip but was pleased with the end result.
After all the tape was laid out I just started sponging in the different distress inks to get a variety of colors blended together. (Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries, Antique Linen, Fossilized Amber)
After I was happy with my colors I pulled up all the tape. Now I had a background for my stamping. I also took a few pieces of tissue tape and went the other direction and tore pieces to apply on the background.