Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Misty background

The weekly challenge at Hero Arts this week is about inspiration and amazing people. My card is dedicated to my older sister!






I used a technique on the background that was so easy and fast and lets me blend colors!

Take a piece of acetate and pull out your watercolor markers. Pick a couple of colors you really want to see blended together.

Hint: If you are like me and like to use colors on opposite sides of the color wheel, you will need to be careful on blending the colors because you will get a muddy color.

  1. Color sections of the acetate with the various colors you selected until you have covered an area of the acetate the size of your background.
  2. Pull out your handy dandy mister/spray bottle. Give the color on acetate 5 to 6 spritzes. You will see the color start to blend and bleed.
  3. Put your white glossy cardstock face down on the colored acetate. You can put another sheet of acetate on the back side to keep any wetness between the two sheets of acetate. Flip over the acetate sandwich and you will see what your cardstock looks like.
  4. If you have any air bubbles you will end up with a white spot. So you can move the color and the air bubbles around by pushing the acetate with your fingers. The more you move the color the more the colors become blended.
  5. Pull the acetate off and let the cardstock dry. (Be careful here as you will get a bunch of liquid on one side and you will want a paper towel to clean off the excess color/water)
  6. Hint: My daughter accidentally didn't push the mister hard enough and she ended up making drips of water on the acetate. This gave the color a really cool effect like water drips of color. You probably will want to try this on at least one of the backgrounds you make. (I know you will be making more than one, I made 5 different color combinations)
  7. After the cardstock was dry I used my StazOn Ink Pad and stamped my images across the background.
  8. Cut the cardstock to size, punch the corners, mount....
  9. I also used an excess piece to stamp my sentiment on and I saved a piece for the inside.

Products:

  • Hero Arts H3308 Sandra's Letter Background Stamp
  • Hero Arts G4917 Dandelion (Love this stamp!)
  • Inkadinkadoo Clear Stamps - Bugs
  • Scrappy Cat - Inspirations Clear Stamps
  • Zig Colorbrush Markers - Hydrangea and Greek Isle (Who wouldn't want to use those colors just for the names alone!)
  • Hero Arts Black Gemstones
  • Fiskars 3 in 1 Corner Punch - Heritage
  • Black & Teal Cardstock
  • StazOn Royal Purple

2 comments:

  1. Great way to achieve an eye-catching background. Worked out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me to take my paints with me on holiday to do this technique again, which I love! Your card is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!