Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oz

Welcome to the Artistic Outpost Design Team Monthly Blog hop!  This month the team is sharing literature and children books inspired projects.

I decided to share a book highlighting Oz:
The outside of the book got a white wash of white acrylic paint.  I added a touch of Versamark around the edges to apply Stampendous Aged Scarlet Embossing Enamel.  I used the same powder to cover the chipboard letters and to emboss my ruby slippers from the lovely Oz Collage plate.  I added a touch of flourish around the slippers from Flappers Fashions.

On the inside of the book there was a lovely alcove already built in:

I decided to take Dorothy and Toto and put them in the forest where they met the lion.  I stamped the images in black ink and colored with watercolor pencils.  I created a tree from brown tissue paper.  I coated the floor with a layer of Wee-Scapes green ground cover.  The background paper is from Graphic 45 Oz papers.

To go with the lovely sentiment about how much you are loved I put the people who loved Dorothy:


I die cut multiple hearts from white cardstock using Spellbinders Dies.  I stamped the various images from the Oz Collage plate along with the Kudzu Kafe woman who reminded me of Auntie Em and put behind her the farm from the Home plate.   The French Flight plate had a perfect image for the Fortune Teller or OZ and his Hot Air Balloon.  I colored the images with watercolor pencils and waterbrush. I sponged the background with a touch of blue dye ink and brown dye around the edges.

The design team has some fantastic inspiration for you to enjoy:


Thanks for stopping by!

Suzz

20 comments:

  1. I like it! Very cool design. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous altered book Suzz, love the whitewashing and the scarlet embossing . Love your tree and the images in the hearts. Lovely. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the altered book and the WIZARD OF Oz. Great creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! I love your portrayal of Dorothy and Todo under the tree.this would look lovely displayed in a childs nursery. A beautiful creation, Suzz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you combined all the children images! Wonderful altered book with so many great details! That tree is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cover & Dorothy on the inside.
    Dorothy & Toto before the storm is just so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing book....love your take on this plate! The cool tree....and the loving admirer's...now that is fabby GF! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is fabulous, outside and in. I really like how you developed the love theme and using the woman from Kudzu Kafe for Auntie Em is totally brilliant! Super cool piece of work, Sue!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great altered book... the little scene inside is so cute, and the loving characters each on a heart is brilliant... Fabulous shabby chic exterior too - very cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your OZ creations look amazing. Love both your creations.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fabulous altered book! Wonderful details inside and out! One day you'll have to show me how you go about altering these cool books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue, Sorry I've not stopped by for a little while. I'm afraid I've had the stuffing knocked out of my by a viral flu bug (it's sweeping the family). It's going to take a week or two to get over I think and this is the first time I've done any catching up on blogs for days.

    Love what you've done with this 'book'. How handy it already had the alcove, lol! I know from experience what a tedious job cutting one from a book is. I love that quote and your tissue tree is brilliant. Putting all Dorothy's loved ones in the hearts is a lovely idea too.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic job on his altered book - would love to try his!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful blog Suz. I found you on pintrest, so glad. I will try to do the hop too as I need lots of inspiration. Your newest follower.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG... what a delightful project Suzz. It is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is just magical! Beautiful fairytale project Sue and I love those ruby slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my. This is amazing. Makes me want to see the new movie coming out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really amazing, makes me want to attempt altering a book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. FUN!!! Love the slippers of course but the alcove is a treat! Great AO images!!! Gorgeous design work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!