Monday, November 9, 2015

Navigate


Time for another Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. This week the challenge is to create a project beginning with the letter "N". 

I was struggling with what to create when I opened up an old dictionary to the letter "N" and what should pop out at me but "Navigate".

The is many ways to interpret the word but it had me thinking of boats navigating through the water.  That was all the direction I needed as I have had an oar in my craft room waiting for me  to up cycle it into decor.

I started with a coat of gesso over the entire surface.  I actually wanted a distressed white-washed effect so I left it with the natural color/surface.  In hindsight I probably would have sanded the surface a bit before I started but it all depends on what you want to achieve.

I masked off sections of my oar and used the paint dabbers to paint the areas of the oar various colors. It required drying time in between and alternating colors. I didn't always get clean lines so I cleaned up any excess with baby wipes and eventually with a white gel pen outlining the sections.

I even stamped some of the map into the main part of the paddle with StazOn ink.  I also stenciled with embossing paste and applying paint over the embossing paste after it had dried.

I also used the original dictionary page to create a cover on a faux book I had in my crafty stash.

As always Simon Says Stamp will be giving away $50 voucher to shop at the fabulous Simon Says Stamp Store
50dollar_voucher_600px

So now it's YOUR turn, come play along and show us your art! You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in

Suzz

If you use instagram add  #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads so we can see them on there too!

Instagram



10 comments:

  1. Fabulous altered art Suzz! I love the oar, absolutely brilliant! Love the card too, very artistic, the lighthouse looks awesome! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever, Suzz! The oar and cover came out beautifully and I love how you thought outside the box for this challenge! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahoy, there! What awesome projects, love how you did the oar, and the salty dog tag is a perfect partner. Love that you used the dictionary page, Suzz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both projects are fun and beautiful! I especially love the brilliant idea of the awesome oar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! Never has an oar looked so flippin' fantastic! I love the font you chose for the words and how you incorporated pink! And as always, your quantity is equal to your quality! I love seeing all of your projects and how each one is so unique. You nailed it this week and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most original project of this week! Stunning! Love the stamps! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing projects, Suzz. Love that you used a dictionairy to spark your imagination and inspiration. Both are fabulous. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea and so unusual!! I love your altered oar, it is so cool. And how fun that you had an oar waiting to be altered. The book cover is amazing too, with all that texture and great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous unique piece of art and such a wonderful take on the theme! An amazing project, Suzz... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!