Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gift Cards

This week the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge is all about Gift-spiration.  The design team will be sharing tips and showing crafty projects they cooked up for the holidays.  My post is all about gift card holders.


In our family the nieces and nephews pick names from their cousins and purchase gifts for their cousins.  As the majority of the nieces and nephews are teens now the main request we get is for money or gift cards.

I have been storing up gum boxes to up-cycle into gift card holders:

I started with two different gum packs in two different shapes but both are the perfect size for a standard gift card.

You can either paint over the surfaces or use pattern paper to cover up the original box.  I decided to cover mine with paper.  To do so I needed a template. It was really easy to pull the glue off the sides of the gum packs and trace the shape on the reverse side of the paper I wanted to use:
After I cut it out I scored on the dotted lines. if you want to keep the shape for future gift card holders you can create a separate template. I also traced the inside in a coordinating paper to cover the inside of the holder.

After I cut and scored the paper I taped the paper to the outside and inside. 

Before I taped the inside piece on I stamped Vintage Christmas words over the paper using black ink.  After the paper was attached I smeared a touch of white acrylic paper over the entire surface inside and out.

I decided to create a little card to go inside with the gift card.  I cut a piece of scrap cardstock and folded it in half.  I cut a piece of the patter paper and attached it to the front of the card. I gave it a coat of white paint to match.  I stamped the deer and snowman on white cardstock using black ink.

I colored the images with a touch of watercolor pencils and waterbrush.  The tree was from pattern paper and was cut out and attached.  I finished off the bottom edge with a mix of glitter and mica flakes for snow.

I stamped the sentiments on a piece of white cadstock and cut it the shape of  tag and stamped the other sentiment on a peice of pattern paper to mount on white cardstock and attach to the front.

The other card holder was even quicker:
I covered the outside and inside with pattern paper.  I punched a piece of brown cardstock with a border punch.  I attached it to the inside lip and the top on the outside.  I added a thin strip of glittery pattern paper along the edges.  I bought a pack of these pretty stickers and attached one to the front.


Products: Bo Bunny,  American Crafts POW paper, K & Company Christmas Stickers, Martha Stewart Lattice PunchOctober Afternoon - Make it Merry, Artistic Outpost - Frosty & Friends, Memory Box - Vintage Christmas Words, Adirondack Snow Cap Paint Dabber, Button, Stampendous Mica Flakes, Blue Glass Glitter, White Hemp, Signo Uni-Ball White Gel Pen

Come join in the challenge for an opportunity to win a gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp:

 Thanks for stopping by.

Suzz

15 comments:

  1. WOW I love your gift card holders what a fabulous christmas gift. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea recycling gum boxes. Not only a great gift card box bt very ecologically smart. And the images are great! I love looking at your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another awesome idea, Suzz! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzz...these are fantastic! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity and your distinct vintage style! I LOVE your gift card holders! Made out of gum boxes...OMG...that is beyond amazing! I love your designs! So cute and such a vintage feeling! I have that Frosty and Friends set but THESE never occurred to me! Thanks for the info on how you put them together! They are precious! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea and a great way to upcycle those boxes. Very clever!!! Love the background, and the sweet images you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adorable giftcard boxes. Looove those cute images, Suzz!! Have a great Christmas and beautiful New Year! :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW what a fantastic piece of recycling, you would never know these were made from gum boxes, so so clever. I love the cute images and lovely cheery colours too, perfect for the recipients. Gorgeous Suzz. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazingly creative! I love these. Not only a fab idea but your images are just gorgeous! Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA!! I love it!! Gorgeous gift card holders!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so amazing. These are so creative.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous card holders! Very pretty and so cute! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will never toss another gum package away. Brilliant!!!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've begun collecting ideas for gift card packaging this year. So glad I found your idea of using gum packaging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!