Sunday, November 24, 2013

Countdown to the Holidays

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is challenging us to start the Holiday Countdown this week.  You can interpret it any way you want.  I started thinking about the countdown to the holidays as in an advent calendar. 


In our house we have little prizes for every day until the holiday starting on December 1st.  I decided to up cycle this mailbox.


It had a big plastic eagle on the front which I had my DH remove.  I then primed the box with a coat of white acrylic paint.  Then I stopped for  awhile thinking of what I wanted to do next.  I searched on Pinterest and found some vintage mailboxes.  I decided I wanted a red rusted look.

  1. Paint the surface using red paint. Smear brown paint over the surface.  
  2. Sponge edges with Versamark Watermark Ink Pad. 
  3. Sprinkle Aged Gold Embossing Enamel over the surface. Heat up until melted.  I left it partially heated to give it a rusted and textured effect. 
  4. Repeat all around the edges and on the top. 
  5. I then die cut a shape for the front from white cardstock. 
  6. Paint the die cut using gold and bronze paint. 
  7. Stamp Santa image using brown ink. 
  8. Pop Dot and attach to the front of the mailbox.
I wanted the numbers for the countdown to be on the mailbox. 

  1. Ink up the hooks with Versamark. Heat emboss with Aged Gold Embossing Enamel. 
  2. Die cut numbers from white cardstock.  Heat emboss with gold embossing powder. 
  3. Die Cut tags from red pattern paper. Apply Versamark on top and bottoms of the tag. Heat emboss with gold embossing powder.

To create the banner I took Christmas pattern paper and cut banners.  I then painted metallic letters with gold paint.  I then tied them across the top with red and white striped twine.

Now I have a box to use as letters to Santa (although my kiddos are too old) and a way to drop in an advent gift every day until Christmas.

Products: StaZon - Timber Brown, Simon Says Simple Numbers, Stampendous Aged Gold Embossing Enamel,  Kelly Purkey Wafer Thin - Labels Dies Versamark Watermark Ink, Authentique Christmas Paper, Bakers Twine, Paper Artsy Santa, Ranger Distress Ink - Vintage Photo, Spellbinders Label 21, Pop Dots, PaperArtsy - Claret, PaperArtsy - French Roast, Ranger Distress Paint - Gold, Ranger Distress Stain - Bronze

The ever generous  Simon Says Stamp. is offering a $50 Gift Voucher for one randomly selected participant in the challenge.  Come share your holiday countdown with us!


Thanks for stopping by!


Suzz

20 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful Suzz. The colours are incredible, Your talent astounds me always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzz...this is such a clever project. I love it! That old mailbox has never looked so good! Thanks for sharing your thought process as you created this lovely piece. It's awesome! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I love the vintagy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous project Suzanne! Love the Vintage Santa and all the gold accents! Really beautiful! Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing project. Wouldn't have guessed it had been a mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... this is such a fantastic box, Suzz. I love the gorgeous gold and red color scheme. The way you displayed numbers is awesome! Great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous piece Suzz, I love your touches of gold, makes it look so opulent and rich looking. Love the numbers too. The embossing is fantastic. I love this. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! What a great idea to alter a mailbox! Love all the embossing! Really stunning! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute tradition, Suzz! I think this festive box will be perfect to hold some presents :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzz, I have a soft spot for anything postal related, so I got pretty excited when I saw your project. And you did a fabulous job altering it. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea! I love all the distressing, and the die cut numbers look amazing...I thought they were metal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy transformation, Batman! Wow! This has got to be the luckiest postbox on the planet to have received THAT kind of a make-over! I really loved your color scheme and I was floored when those number tags were made out of paper! Good thing I'm not a gambling woman because I would've bet my life that those were metal! So it goes when supplies are in the hands of a talented woman! Great job on this piece, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous transformation - so glamorous with all that gold dust... this will definitely add to the excitement of the countdown!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great change ! I like the way you have used gold and this unconventional shade of red !Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea, Suzz!! Who wouldn't want this box! Love the colors and how you did it with the numbers too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Suzz!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! You see the world through different spectacles than most!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fabulous transformation Sue! And a great idea. I LOVE the little embossed number tags you created.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous project Sue and such a lovely idea too. Love the little numbered tags for the countdown!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!