Sunday, August 3, 2014

Welcome to the Family

The Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge this week is  Family!  Being inspired by family means different things to me.  I spend some thinking about what I would create..  I started thinking of the definition of family which had me pulling out an old dictionary that I have on hand to pull pages to use in my art.


I had purchased this cheap dictionary awhile ago when one of the kids needed one for school. 



I went through the dictionary and pulled out the definitions for family, sister, and brother.

I tore around the edges and taped it down onto a piece of white cardstock.  I painted around the edges with white acrylic paint.  I sponged and distressed the edges with brown dye ink.  I then circled and underlined the words.

I stamped trees to represent the family tree. I stamped splatter using he same brown ink.
I then added in a few smattering of birds flying across the sky.  I pulled out this cute baby chipboard button and added welcome to the right half and took the stamped home an added it on the front.  I used a metal embellishment and layered on a few background panels to finish my card.  I thought this would make a cute baby card.

Products:  Ranger Archival Ink - Jet Black,   White Acrylic PaintRanger Distress Ink - Walnut Stain,  Darkroom Door - SplatterDarkroom Door - Home Sweet Home, Darkroom Door - Trees, Visual Artistry - Lost and Found,  Idea-Ology - Metal Word Bands, Natural Hemp, Brown Cardstock, Melissa Frances Adopted Ancestors

For an opportunity to  win a   Simon Says Stamp $50 Gift Voucher come join in on the fun!



Thanks for stopping by!

Suzz

14 comments:

  1. that is just awesome, I made a thank you card for my brother using the thanks page in a dictionary but I love doing a family plaque using the different definitions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Being an English major, I went totally giddy when I saw a dictionary page used so beautifully! Yay! And I never would've thought to combine different definitions onto one page. That was brilliant! I also really like all the scenery you created with stamps and I adore how you made that baby chipboard button turn out so cool. Really love this project and thanks for giving such an amazing makeover to that poor little dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful project Suzanne! What a wonderful way to upcycle a dictionary! So creative and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning piece. Love the definitions of the 3 words. And the trees are perfect for the theme! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dictionary page background. such a wonderful detail. I love that you used the trees too. I kept thinking "tree" too, but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate it. You did it fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic way to get some use out of those pages! Love the techniques you did as well :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun and fabulous creation, Suzz. I love your beautiful stamping on the dictionary page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous page! Place the three words together is a brilliant idea! I love the pages of the dictionary as a base to create art pieces, your page is really wonderful! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the grungy feel to this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing artwork - love the grunginess and the way you have added the elements

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so wonderful Sue! Love your idea behind it, the dictionary words, trees and all the inky loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous Suzz! I love how you've used the dictionary pages, that is such a wonderful detail and your stamping is fantastic ~ beautiful artwork, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! Turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!