Saturday, April 19, 2014

Flowers at Midnight

Happy Saturday!  Things have been so hectic I haven't been inking as much as I would like. I started creating something a few days ago and mucked it up.  So this morning I sat down to follow the same creative path and see if I could finish it.

I was happy with what I finished.  I decided to use it as my blog header too!  I created this from a large piece of cardstock spritzed with two layers of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.  I used a lighter yellow and a darker yellow together.  I had to let that dry. (My first version was a scrap paper which I tried this on and messed up)

After it had dried I took a background stamp from Hero Arts which had never been inked up and in my collection for over a year at least and stamped it with black archival ink on the left. I then inked it up and repeated the pattern varying the height to create a garden.  Of course I wasn't good enough to completely cover my background with black ink. I found another background stamp with a nice area of plain rubber and used that to ink in areas that weren't completely covered in black. I also used a blue water color pencil and added a hint of blue to the background.

I added a touch of gold shading on the edges of my flowers with the watercolor pencil and waterbrush.

I then came back in and stamped randomly a touch of script in black ink.  I punched out baby butterflies to sprinkle across the canvas.  For my white spots I put a dollop of white acrylic paint on my craft mat and gave it a nice dose of water.  After I mixed it in I took a paint brush with a flat edge and covered it in watery paint and ran my finger over the brush to create a spray of white paint over everything. (I mean everything so you might want to move everything out of the way!)

I couldn't bring myself to cut down my image so my MIL is going to get an extra large card for Mother's Day :)

Products: Hero Arts Garden Silhoutte , Ranger Archival Ink, STAEDTLER watercolor pencils, White acrylic paint, ED Success Punch, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist

Have a Happy Saturday!

Suzz

12 comments:

  1. OMG...this is phenomenal!!!! I love, love, love this work of art you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely stunning Sue and you are obviously pleased with it to use as your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's magical, Suzz... can absolutely see why it got promoted to blog header immediately! The golden texty flowers are just beautiful.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely amazing!! I sat and stared at it for ages and I am still not totally sure how you did it (and yes I did read the description...), those yellow flowers against the dark background look so stunning and I love the extra touches of white and the subtle shading. Really brilliant, and yes I can see why it was promoted to become your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when something you think is trash ends up being beautiful. This looks fresh and spontaneous. I lvoe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful card. Great idea to repeat the stamp. Beautiful Anneke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It turned out so pretty. Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous well done you!!! Love the effects on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suzz,
    I love your midnight flower garden. Could you be more specific as to what Hero Arts Background Stamp you used. I have looked for something to resemble that and am coming up with nothing. Thanks for you blog. I love your work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy.. I have updated the products with a link to the stamp at Simon Says Stamp. I too looked at Hero Arts and didn't see it. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!