Sunday, June 1, 2014

Magic

Ho Ho Ho it's magic, you know never believe it's not so... I have that song going through my mind because of the challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge   is Magic. When I heard the challenge was magic it brought to mind the wax paper resist technique.  I taught a class using wax paper techniques and one of the ladies declared it was magic when the color was applied and magically the resist shows up.

Here is the batch of backgrounds made from my session of playing with the wax paper:

and here is my finished card:


To create the background:


First you emboss the wax paper using an embossing folder.  I did a bunch of different embossed wax papers using different folders.

The next step is to take the wax paper and place it between two pieces of white cardstock.  Heat up your iron.  I set the heat on the iron to a cotton setting.  After it heats up you are going to iron the sandwiched wax paper  between the cardstock for about a minute moving the iron around over the surface to keep it from overheating. Typically I do this on a folded up towel because I don't want to pull out the ironing board. Whatever works best for you. :)

After you finish this you will have a nice resist on your paper that you can color with mists, or distress inks.    If you stamp before you put the resist on you can have a stamped image under the resist.


Onto the magic.  Apply dye inks to the surface using a sponge applicator randomly. Voila the embossed image will magically appear.  After you finish putting all the dye ink take a paper towel or kleenex and buff off the dye ink on the waxy surface. 


Here is my finished panel. I decided to add a speckling of white paint over the surface.  I put white acrylic paint down with a mix of water which I picked up on a brush and flicked over the surface.



The rest was a mix of white die cuts blended together to create an aviary scene. 

A few others:

This was ironed onto a page from a book and sponged with brown dye ink.

I also like to use the leftover embossed wax paper and I took two of the leftover wax pieces and painted them with a mix of paint sprays.


I added a piece of vellum with a sentiment to finish these off as cards.


Products: Provo Craft Aviary , Anna Griffin Wildflower - Embossing Folder, Memory Box - Simon Says Stamp Exclusive - Pointed Feather, Simon Says Stamp Die - Viola Sprouts, Memory Box Catalina Border, Memory Box Tupelo - Wreath, Memory Box - Grand Gothic Arch , Memory Box Meadow Bird, Ranger Distress Inks - Picked Raspberry, Ripe Persimmons, Walnut Stain, Ranger Archival Ink  - Magenta Hue , White Acrylic Paint, Stampers Anonymous - Happy Birthday, Glimmer Mists - Pink, Blue, Wax Paper, White Cardstock

Once again you have a chance to play along for a chance at a  Simon Says Stamp $50 Gift Voucher.


Thanks for stopping by!

Suzz

24 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous card, I like the white die cuts on a coloured background! So pretty. I'm yet to try the wax paper technique.. Sounds fun! :) thanks, Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous Suzz. This technique is really like magic that's for sure. Love the different backgrounds you did and the card is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card and new technique for me to try - THANK YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card and new technique for me to try - THANK YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool technique. I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool technique! It is off to the store for some wax paper for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is indeed a magical technique! I too have taught it in a class and got the same reaction. Love your cards Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. all the textures and colors you created are fantastic, Suzz. Love the fabulous patterns, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Suzz, I love this technique, the white really pops against the coloured backdrop. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Suzanne! What a beautiful card! The background looks fabulous! Can't wait to see what you create with all the other magical pieces you created!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way cool technique!! I'm going to have to give that a try! Love the birthday card :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! This looks so cool and I can't wait to try this technique. Your card is gorgeous btw!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how fun, Suzz! and it really looks like magic! And so pretty too! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cards and great technique! I'll try it! Thanks for sharing! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this and can't wait to try this technique. So much for clearing my dining room table this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love this technique and I adore your beautiful card. The background looks amazing and I love the fabulous patterns you've created. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful technique! The results are stunning. I love your card! Thanks for inspiring me this week, I'm going to have try that! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is cool! Your happy birthday card is just stunning! What a great technique. Thanks for the how to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant take on this challenge! Although now that song is stuck in my head, too! :) I love that you shared a technique that is so simple, yet so often under-utilized. It is beautiful and I always appreciate being reminded of techniques like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Wish I knew what colors you used on that birthday card. I really like it with the white die cuts. Thanks for the wax paper technique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used the Ranger Distress Inks - Picked Raspberry and Ripe Persimmon
    s

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! I have those! Now if I can find and dust off my iron %-))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Duh!!! I just looked at your post again and realized I didn't pay attention to your list at the end. Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!