Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Textured Bark Technique

How about a new technique today?  I am calling this textured bark.  I had this idea percolating in my mind that I wanted to try out.  I wasn't sure how it was going to end up but I loved the effect at the end.

Of course I forgot to take pictures along the way.  I think that half way through I almost threw this into the garbage but I persevered and ended up somewhere I liked.

You are going to have to click on the picture to see all the details.  Here is the step by step:
  1. Cut a piece of cardboard to size. Paint white. 
  2. Cut sheets of tissue paper, old pages from a book, old sheets of music slightly small than size of cardboard. 
  3. Mix sheets of papers together in layers. 
  4. Staple sheets to cardboard.  If you can sew them on it would even be better. :) 
  5. Cut random size slits on the paper all form top to bottom but in different lengths. 
  6. Spray a mix of mists (orange, green, gold) 
  7. Let dry.
  8. Use your fingers or a piece of sand paper to rub the edges of the slits and start the curling process between the layers and to open them up to show the splits. 
  9. Repeat the spraying, drying, and sanding process to get the texture you desire.  
  10. I added in touches of white acrylic paint over the surface to soften and highlight areas.
  11. When I was happy with the texture and the effect I added a piece of chicken wire over the top.  
  12. I stamped a dragonfly and colored him with the coordinating glimmer mists. 
  13. I heat embossed the dragonfly and second wings with a coat of shimmery embossing powder. My favorite is Stampendous Kaleidoscope Embossing Powder.
  14. I added he sentiment and a few brads and was finished. 
I hope you enjoyed the effect and technique.

Suzz

6 comments:

  1. Ooh so grungy,love it,what a great idea!

    Donna.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow- unbelievable - so fantastic Details- great artwork!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous texture! Looks like came from the forest floor and I mean that in a good way. The dragonfly is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning! Love all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! Love all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning piece , I love your technique and the colours on this are amazing. Love the dragonfly too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!