Sunday, January 26, 2014

Deadwood

Welcome to the wild wild west... The challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is about cowboys... My  family and I took a trip out west which included visiting Deadwood which had me scrapping our trip.
I started with trying to create a poker hand reflecting Wild Bill's hand when he was assassinated which is called the Dead Man's Hand.  I did a little online searching to find out what vintage cards would look like and what the hand contained.

I started with the cards first which are always fun to create. I cut them to size and rounded the corners.  I distressed the edges with brown dye ink.  I stamped a soft damask using a gold ink.  I then added the suits in black ink in the quantity which was in his hand.  In my research on line there were varying stories on the fifth card and some showed it as not visible.  So I decided to create a fancy pattern on the backside of my card. Of course no saloon cards would be right without some glass rings and splatters.  I even added a bullet hole to one of my cards.

To create the background on my layout I took three steps: 

I sprayed the background with gold mist.  I then added a layer of bronze mist.  I finished with stamping the Wild West letters in gold repeatedly.

After that was finished I added in a row of damask along the left side in black and gold.



I highlighted the center with a black gem.  I stamped the saloon and highlighted it with some shadowing in the background.

I added the cowboy and a few pistols stamped in black on a similar background.  I added the grunge letters misted to coordinate and accented with metallic brads.  I added a date underneath my kids.

Products:  Stampers Anonymous - CMS109 - Wild West   Hero Arts - Black Metallic Decor Embellishments,   Versafine - Toffee,   Chipboard Letters, DarkRoon Door , Visual Artistry - French Connection, Ranger Distress Ink - Vintage PhotoHeidi Swapp - Bronzer Color Shine, Heidi Swapp - Gold Lame Color Shine, Ranger Archival Ink - Jet Black, Corner Rounder
 

Once again if you play along with us you have an opportunity to win a  Simon Says Stamp $50 Gift Voucher.
Thanks for stopping by! 
 

Suzz

18 comments:

  1. Wow Sue, I am so glad I stole a little time to pay a visit this morning! What a fantastic layout. As always, your attention to detail (like the glass rings & bullet hole) are second to none. Brilliant!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous page Sue! Love those cards you created with the different patterns and distressing. Fabulous background too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Suzz, the background colors and patterns you created are gorgeous! I love those beautiful cards and the great photo. Wonderful design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE your page Suzz and there is so much detail to feast your eyes on...really beautiful! Thank you for the warm welcome and so looking forward to being on the team with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wondeful Suzz. Love the stamped images that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wondeful Suzz. Love the stamped images that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this layout. I haven't scrapped my photos of SD yet. I think I might have to case this layout for a few of them. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool layout, Suzz! Love all the western elements and the lovely picture with the cowboy in the back! Really great touch! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fun layout! I love the the playing cards!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a fantastic page! Lave all the cards and distressing! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this!
    The "dead mans hand" is fabulous. And I love the background. So rich in detail! Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab layout - the poker cards are a great idea.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wondeful page, bye from France
    Pitchoune

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very cool! Love those cards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Who would've known something named "deadwood" could be so vibrant and energetic? This page pops to life with an amazing color palette and I especially love the damask along the left side. Your style is always your own and yet your projects are so loveable on a universal level. Great playing cards, too, and I love how it looks like one has a bullet hole!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing layout! Love your background and the playing cards! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your page is amazing, I love all the details you put into it. It's stunning! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzz...this is really cute and such a great way to interpret the Wild West challenge. Love your layout. The colors are awesome and I love your design. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!