Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July!

Tim's July tag celebrated the 4th with its colors and content.  I loved the technique he used and couldn't wait to try it out.


 Tim's technique used compressed air which I didn't have but that didn't stop me... I pulled out a drinking straw and used a little of my own air.

This was my first attempt at the technique. I have a few other tags I created using the technique which I will share tomorrow and I think I got a little better at my version of the technique with practice.

Recipe:
  1. Spritz surface of glossy cardstock with water. (I mis-read his instructions.) 
  2. drip red pepper alcohol ink onto surface. Blow on with straw. 
  3. Drip cloudy blue alcohol ink onto surface over red area and white. Blow with straw to spread. 
  4. Drip white mixative onto surface blow.  (This didn't work as it was too thick so I added a drop of alcohol blending solution and then blue.  Hence the blended white area.) 
I stamped the Artistic Outpost She-Roes set to get my words and images.  The ribbon was inked up with the alcohol inks and blending solution to fade it a little and mix it up.  I used the white acrylic paint on the ideology charm.

Happy and safe 4th of July!   

Suzz





17 comments:

  1. That turned out awesome!!! Love the way those colors blended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your tag turned out AMAZING it's just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this looks, so cool and this technique is one I did years ago (with the straw). Never seemed to get that same effect so may have to try again...love your tag!!! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tag ... love the technique and those sweet stars ... happy 4th of July to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your version - it's so much softer. I'm probably not going to get mine done in time, so it gives me ideas for other ways I can use this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beeyootiful Suzz. love your background and that's a lovely image

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be fun to try with the straw! I don't have a can of the compressed air either. Thanks for the suggestion and the tag is wonderful, Happy Fourth Of July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tag, and what a great idea to use a straw instead! I think it's prettier this way! I think I'm gonna try it your way first when I get the change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tag is fab. Thanks for sharing this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jaw droppingly gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, just perfect, Sue, for today!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Such a cool technique! Gorgeous tag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You may have misread (a problem I also often encounter) but I LOVE the way yours turned out. It is a much more water-color effect but it is so pretty- I think I am going to play around with it after I make the fireworks. I think it would be a fabulous background for flowers- it reminds me of poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful how it turned out despite the mis-reading the instructions. I've learnt the hard way to read fully before starting! I'll have to try this technique out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you and your family had a wonderful 4th of July Sue. Sorry I'm late with my good wishes but I've been spending the past week nursing a poorly little granddaughter :-( She has had a really bad bout of chicken pox (or chicken dots as she calls them). She's a very good patient but I had forgotten how tiring and time consuming nursing a poorly child is. She's on the mend now though thank goodness.

    On to your fabulous tag. What a brilliant effect you have achieved. I have my alcohol inks out at the moment for another project so must give this a try before I tidy up. Your beautifully detailed cutting out always amazes me. I'm sure mine would look really tatty by the time I'd cut out all those fiddly bits.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!